Canada is a North American country stretching from the US border in the south to the Arctic Circle in the north. Bordered by the United States
Area: 9,985,000 km²
Population: 37.59 million (2019). Ethnic composition: about 28% of the population are Britons, about 23% French, 15% other European peoples, and about 2% indigenous Indians and Inuit (Eskimo) tribes. The country has over six million French-speaking citizens, mostly descendants of colonists who settled in three centuries ago
Features: the country has access to the sea. The country is washed by three oceans: Atlantic, Arctic, and Pacific.
Canada Map with Provinces and Adjoining Oceans
Capital city: Ottawa - 812 129 inhabitants (2020)
Five largest cities in Canada
Economy. GDP volume: 1,736 billion USD (2019). GDP annual growth rate: 13% (Q2/20), GDP per capita: 51 589 USD (2019), GDP per capita at PPP 49 031 USD (2019),
Annual inflation rate 0.1% (Aug 2020), av. wages: 26.85 CAD/hour | 3210 USD/month (Jul. 2020). Unemployment rate: 10.2% (Aug 2020) Corruption rank: 12.
According to the World Bank's "Doing Business" rating
, the country ranks 23rd among 190 countries of the world. Currency: CAD.
Main sectors of the economy: the country has a highly developed manufacturing industry while occupying a leading position in the world in the extraction and production of many types of raw materials such as nickel, uranium, asbestos, and aluminum. Traditionally, the leaders in terms of production and investment growth rates were corporations of the resource industries: oil and gas industry, industrial complex, non-ferrous and ferrous metallurgy.
The fastest-growing sectors of the "new economy" is the production of computers and office equipment, communications, aircraft and components, and pharmaceuticals.
Exports amounted to 454.28 billion CAD | 339.49 billion USD (Jul. 2020).
The export structure:
22% (98 billion USD) - Mineral fuels, oil, and products of their distillation
- 13.7% (61 billion USD) - Ground transport vehicles, other than railway or tram rolling stock, and their parts and accessories
- 7.82% (34 billion USD) - boilers, equipment, and mechanical devices; their parts
- 4.68% (20 billion USD) - Natural or cultured pearls, precious or semi-precious stones, precious metals, metals,
- 2.99% (13.3 billion USD) - Electrical machinery and equipment, their parts;
- 2.84% (12.7 billion USD) - Plastics and articles thereof
- 2.62% (11.7 billion USD) - Wood and wood products; charcoal
- 2.52% (11.2 billion USD) - Aircraft, spacecraft, and their parts
- 1.98% (8.84 billion USD) - Ores, slag and ash
Total imports totaled 453 billion USD in 2019. The decrease in the supply of goods into the country in value terms amounted to 1.45% as compared to 2018: the imports of goods decreased by 6.71 billion USD. In 2018, goods worth 459 billion USD were imported.
5 largest companies, revenues in billion USD
- Brookfield Asset Management (brookfield.com) 56.771
- Alimentation Couche-Tard (couche-tard.com) 51.394
- Royal Bank of Canada 44.609
- George Weston 37.475
- Magna International 40.827
5 largest banks
Bank of Montreal (BMO)
Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank)
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
Royal Bank of (RBC)
Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD)