The Student visa allows students to travel to Australia and study full time at recognised Educational Institutions, in Australia, and work part time.
Genuine Temporary Entrant
The Australian Educational Institution and the Department of Home Affairs must be satisfied that the student is a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE).
Student Visa Eligibility
As well as providing evidence that the applicant is a Genuine Temporary Entrant, the applicant must also meet the eligibility criteria below:
1. Enrolment - You must be enrolled in a recognised course and include your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) from the Australian Educational Institution, for each intended course.
2. English Language ability - You must provide evidence of English language ability, such as an IELTS test results.
3. English Exemption - No evidence of English ability is needed if they have enrolled in a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) or have completed at least five years study in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland, or is a citizen of UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Ireland, or have completed a Secondary School certificate or Certificate IV in Australia.
4. Financial requirements - the student applicant needs to show evidence that they have enough funds available to pay for their course fees, travel and living costs and support any accompanying family.
5. Health and Character - You must meet health and character requirements and maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Insurance.
See our web page for more information about the Australian Student Visa, Subclass 500: